Chris

Red Sea Crossing

22 posts in this topic

Sorry, I couldn't make it all the way through. Quite apart from the appalling design of the presentation, the 'evidence' is completely spurious; a string of unverified tombs was not a good start.

what is this i don't even

Stopped when they started to quote Ron Wyatt. No point going further.

It's an unfortunate reflection on what passes for an acceptable standard of commentary in parts of our community.

Sorry, I couldn't make it all the way through. Quite apart from the appalling design of the presentation, the 'evidence' is completely spurious; a string of unverified tombs was not a good start.

Agree with both of these comments - really poor effort.

I just fired off an email letting everyone know this PPS is untrustworthy and gave them some references refuting Wyatt's outrageous claims.

Who produced it? And what is the comment on the last slide all about?

Sad to say mainstream anti-God media do not portray these true facts in the light of faith

But prefer to sceptically doubt such archaeological proofs of the veracity & historicity of the Biblical account, one of the most accurate history books in the world

:raised eyebrow:

Good one Chris. I would suggest also sending some links to the better blogs. It's best to give people a more reliable alternative when warning the off a bad source.

GoogleEarth is fun:

Israel_Red_Sea_crossing.png

I don't see anything remotely like a shallow land bridge. I suppose one could try to argue that the sea floor has changed over the last ~3000 years, but that wasn't Wyatt's argument.

I've been approached privately about drafting a rebuttal to the PPS. I won't reveal his name here, but the initials are GB. For those in the know, I'm confident you can piece it together. If not, PM me.

I forced myself to watch past the opening, but once Wyatt and the infamous land bridge were mentioned, I stopped. Velikovsky, Rohl, Wyatt - why do we fall for such heterodox commenters on archaeology?

Chris, excellent idea drafting a refutation of the power point presentation. In my experience, the average Christadelphian will respond positively when told that Wyatt is a fraud, provided it isn't done so in an overtly negative way.

This is an interesting thread as a video by Wyatt has done the rounds at our ecclesia over the past few years. I'd be interested to see the PowerPoint you pull together Chris.

The Internet is stacked full of refutations of Wyatt's so-called discoveries. If he'd made one or two major finds, he may have been more convincing. Instead, he went totally overboard:

By the time of his death on August 4, 1999, his claimed discoveries included:[2]

• Noah's Ark (the Durupınar site, located 18.25 miles south of Mount Ararat)
  • Anchor stones (or drogue stones) used by Noah on the Ark
  • The post-flood house, grave markers and tombs of Noah and his wife
  • The location of Sodom and Gomorrah and the other (3) Cities of the Plain: Zoar, Zeboim and Admah
  • Sulfur/brimstone balls from the ashen remains of Sodom and Gomorrah.
  • The Tower of Babel site (in southern Turkey)
  • How the Egyptians may have built the pyramids.
  • The site of the Israelites' crossing of the Red Sea (located in the Gulf of Aqaba)
  • Chariot wheels and other relics of the army of Pharaoh at the bottom of the Red Sea
  • The site of the biblical Mt. Sinai (in Saudi Arabia at Jabal al Lawz)
  • The rock at Mt. Horeb from which water flowed when struck by Moses
  • The site of Korah’s earthquake.
  • A chamber at the end of a maze of tunnels under Jerusalem containing artefacts from Solomon's Temple
  • The site of the Crucifixion of Jesus
  • The Ark of the Covenant and the stones of the Ten Commandments
  • Christ’s blood, dripped onto the Mercy seat of the Ark of the Covenant beneath the Crucifixion site.
  • A miter with an ivory pomegranate on the tip
  • The burial pots of Ashkelon.

Source.

'Nuff said.

Edited by Hudders

Do you think these ones are theoretically possible?

On 16/05/2011 at 7:39 AM, Hudders said:

If he'd made one or two major finds, he may have been more convincing.

• The location of Sodom and Gomorrah and the other (3) Cities of the Plain: Zoar, Zeboim and Admah
  • The Tower of Babel site
  • The site of the Israelites' crossing of the Red Sea 
  • Chariot wheels and other relics of the army of Pharaoh at the bottom of the Red Sea
  • The site of the biblical Mt. Sinai

20 hours ago, SDA said:

Do you think these ones are theoretically possible?

• The Tower of Babel site
  • The site of the Israelites' crossing of the Red Sea 
  • The site of the biblical Mt. Sinai

The burden of proof lies with Ron Wyatt and his supporters. Though given that he was known to outright lie and that his entire career and qualifications were a fraud, I can't say that I particularly care what he thought, to be honest.

Edited by Hudders
1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Hudders said:

The burden of proof lies with Ron Wyatt and his supporters. Though given that he was known to outright lie and that his entire career and qualifications were a fraud, I can't say that I particularly care what he thought, to be honest.

I mean I don't mean which of these finds by Wyatt are plausible.
I meant is it possible for any archaeologist to find? Like would enough remains be left or would it be impossible to find them ever?

All of them are things that are capable of being discovered. Whether they have been or not is another matter.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Hudders said:

All of them are things that are capable of being discovered. Whether they have been or not is another matter.

Didn't Leen Ritmeyer find them?

And okay, I wasn't sure if the towel of babel site, site of the crossing of the red sea (except if that chariot thing is correct), site of the cruxifiction would be possible now.

Leen Ritmeyer was/is involved in excavations which may be the site of Sodom, he wasn't the one that found it though. Those excavations started over a decade ago, and they're still going. That's why most reputable archaeologists only have a few major finds against their name, because it takes time to process everything properly.

Ron Wyatt just looked at some geological layers, went "Oooh, that just like ash", found some sulphur balls and declared it the site of Sodom without any excavations or dating or anything; not exactly reliable.

2 people like this

On 21/03/2017 at 2:06 AM, SDA said:

And okay, I wasn't sure if the towel of babel site, site of the crossing of the red sea (except if that chariot thing is correct), site of the cruxifiction would be possible now.

I guess that of the items you listed, they would certainly be some of the hardest to demonstrate. Tower of Babel would be difficult due to the unlikeliness of mud buildings surviving this long. Red sea crossing because there wouldn't be much evidence of it (as I understand it, the photos of chariot wheels that Wyatt pushed were dated to significantly more recently i.e. by thousands of years?). And the crucifixion because there wouldn't be much left over from it. The wood would rot and apart from that, there'd be not much more to go on. For all of them, I imagine you'd get better indications from uncovering written records (unlikely though they may be to find) rather than going out with a pick and shovel and hoping to dig up a crucifix etc.

1 person likes this