Disciple

Epistemology. History and culture.

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know any good books on epistemology?

Specifically I'd like to broaden my understanding in how it has varied throughout history and cultures.

Epistemology: A Contemporary Introduction to the Theory of Knowledge - Robert Audi

There's also the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy available online here.

Fantastic - thanks.

I have the ebook on my iPad now.

Look forward to reading it.

I was given an amazon gift of ebook William lane Craig's "reasonable faith". He has some good stuff to say, but wow he is fundamental in other areas!

I think he subscribes to Cartesian dualism, (but in a way in which the mind is not dependent on matter of some sort), because he uses it as one his main premises to show the first cause of the universe is personal.

I've yet to finish it so I could be wrong

Anyone else read it?

I am reading it for my university degree. It's disappointing to see him undermine his entire position by ultimately resorting to 'I've had a spiritual experience which convinces me of God's existence; when you have a spiritual experience you'll be convinced too.'

This is very poor and completely flies in the face of his other arguments, which are predicated on reason rather than subjective personal experiences.

Edited by Evangelion

I am reading it for my university degree. It's disappointing to see him undermine his entire position by ultimately resorting to 'I've had a spiritual experience which convinces me of God's existence; when you have a spiritual experience you'll be convinced too.'

This is very poor and completely flies in the face of his other arguments, which are predicated on reason rather than subjective personal experiences.

Yep. He calls it a 'self-authenticating' experience. So even if he's wrong he's still right!

What "role" would you say spiritual experience plays in someone's life?

Edited by luke

He's practically encouraging a pre-supposition of conclusions to questions in that video ... which i have found tends to hinder learning

What "role" would you say spiritual experience plays in someone's life?

This would depend on how a person defines "spiritual experience" wouldn't it?

I imagine that however you define it, Romans 8 and 1 John are probably going to be of interest...

On 13/10/2012 at 8:57 AM, Disciple said:

I think he subscribes to Cartesian dualism,

No philosopher believes in this anymore to my knowledge.

On 12/10/2012 at 0:17 PM, Disciple said:

Does anyone know any good books on epistemology?

Specifically I'd like to broaden my understanding in how it has varied throughout history and cultures.

Knowledge Puzzles: An Introduction To Epistemology by Stephen Cade Hetherington

And it hasn't varied through history as far as I know, it is just in some cultures the source of knowledge comes from certain sources not used as much in other cultures.

But epistemology (how do we know truth) is much more useful than metaphysics (what is the universe really like) in my opinion